[whatwg] Give guidance about RFC 4281 codecs parameter

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Oct 25 18:08:25 PDT 2007

Thanks for the help on RFC4281 stuff, I've updated the spec to match.

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:

> This information is not accurate anymore according to the Internet
> Draft[1] Xiph is working on to help solve the mess.
>
> video/ogg should be used for any kind of visual material inside Ogg.
> audio/ogg should be used for audio material in Ogg.
>
> These media types have a SHOULD requirement for Skeleton to help
> interoperability.  There is one exception in audio/ogg for that
> requirement, which is related to serving Vorbis- or Speex-only files
> that need backward compatibility.  This separation is explained in the
> I-D.

Thanks, fixed.

> application/ogg is to be used in special cases where video/ogg or
> audio/ogg are not recommended.  Imagine scientific applications that
> require dozens of multiplexed signals.  Content served under
> application/ogg MUST have a Skeleton logical stream.

I haven't mentioned application/ogg, it seems unlikely people will use
those streams with <video> on any kind of regular basis.

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Here is what effect it has on the WHAT-WG spec: [...]

Excelent, thanks!!! Updated the spec to match.

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Dave Singer wrote:

> > Assuming level 3, I assume that the correct example here would be:
> >
> >   H.264 Simple baseline profile video (main and extended video compatible)
> >   level 3 and Low-Complexity AAC audio in MP4 container
> >
> >     type="video/mp4; codecs="avc1.42E030, mp4a.40.2"
>
> Hex/decimal confusion here.  Level_idc is *ten* times the level number,
> so level 3 == level_idc 30 == 0x1E.

Fixed.

> we should tell authors to follow the RFC, and not pretend to be
> authoritative.... :-)

If the RFC had examples, I'd be all about this. As it stands, though,
given how much difficulty _I'm_ having with this, I don't think it wise to
let authors figure it out if we want them to do it at all!

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> I don't know about Dirac inside mpeg, but here's what it would look like
> inside Ogg together with vorbis for example:
>
>    <source src="video.ogv" type="video/ogg; codecs="dirac, vorbis"">

Thanks, added.