[whatwg] Full screen for the <video> element

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Mon Oct 29 14:37:13 PDT 2007

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
> As far as I understand this issue, the best solution is to leave it up
> to the user-agent.  If they want to provide a full screen option let
> them have it.  If users find it annoying or if it's heavily abused,
> they either disable it or move to another browser that knows what it's
> doing(tm).
>
> Basically, full screen video should be a client thing.  The HTML 5
> spec should merely suggest user-agents not to start in full screen
> mode by default.  I think that's a good compromise.  Not elegant, but
> probably works.

Agreed.

However I wasn't talking about fullscreen in my previous email in this
thread. I was talking about full-window. Something that has entierly
different security constraints and something that webpages will be able
to do even if we don't provide an API.

But as I said, I'm fine with leaving full-window to a later version of
the spec if we see there's a need for it.

/ Jonas