[whatwg] <CENTER>, <MENU>, <DIR>, <NL>; Re: Presentational elements in Web Applications 1.0

Krzysztof Żelechowski giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl
Tue Oct 30 09:52:17 PDT 2007

Dnia 30-10-2007, wto o godzinie 08:33 +0000, Ian Hickson napisał(a):

> (I strongly feel that there is a difference between <div> used for
> grouping thematically related blocks, and <p> used for separating
> thematically related inline content, e.g. parts of a form. I want to make
> inline-in-<div> non-conforming in the case where <p> could better be
> used, but without making it non-conforming when it is being used to make
> custom widgets. I don't really see what to do about this. Maybe only
> allow <div> to contain blocks or <span> elements (but not both)?)

It would also clean up the current situation where the strictness of the
BODY element is meaningless because you can wrap all content in a DIV
element to make it strict.

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Eugene T.S. Wong wrote:
> >
> > I guess I should have looked up the dictionary definition earlier on. I
> > just looked it up now, and 1 of the definitions for "title" is "a
> > general or descriptive heading for a section of a written work". I was
> > wrong. If we look up "heading", we can see the same idea. I must say
> > that I'm pretty surprised. I've never heard of anybody using "heading" &
> > "title" interchangeably, outside of HTML.
>
> I don't know what the difference would be if they're not the same. :-)

If the written work is a composition, it would have a title; if it is
ephemeral excerpt, like a note, a notice or a memo, it would have a
heading.  That is my intuition; I may be wrong because I did not attend
an English school.

Cheers,
Chris