[whatwg] Fwd: idea for new tag: breadcrums (fwd)

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Oct 30 17:10:06 PDT 2007

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, George Lund wrote:
> Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> writes:
> >
> > Someone sent me a mail suggesting:
> >
> > | <breadcrumbs>
> > | </breadcrumbs>
> >
> > I think a better way of doing this would be:
> >
> >   <navigation>
> >     Second hand
> >   </navigation>
> >
> > ...where we define rel="up" to mean "go up one level" (as now) and add the
> > semantic that if the keyword is repeated, then it means up that many
> > levels. I've noted this as something the spec will have to talk about.

I've now added this to the spec. Let me know if you see any problems with
it.

> URLs already have these semantics built-in.  <a href="../"> means
> something special to web browsers without having to invent a new way of
> doing that. What would these keywords do extra that can't already be
> done if authors organise their URL-spaces sensibly?

Well, some people can't organise their URL-spaces sensibly. Also, the URL
space can only represent one hierarchy.

> The idea of a <navigation> element would be very useful (like giving
> speaking browsers the chance to skip their contents, for example).

We now have <nav>.

> But I don't see why that <p> mark-up should be added, as what we have
> there isn't a normal paragraph in most human languages.  It's more like
> some kind of specially-ordered list, if anything.

Yes, <ol> would also work here.

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Olav Junker Kjær wrote:

> By sensible URL-spaces, I assume you mean using slashes in URLs to
> indicate the hierarachy? This is not really practical since it won't
> work with many CMS'es, and it prevent you from moving rearranging the
> hierarchy since this will break links. URL's should be allowed to be
> opaque.

Indeed.

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, George Lund wrote:

> Well, HTTP has well-defined ways of indicating that a resource has
> moved. HTML shouldn't be trying to take over from these established (and
> well-designed) divisions of labour within the system.
>
> What's proposed is a system where people (or processes) are forced to
> edit the _contents_ of an object just because it has moved, whereas
> conceptually moving something around in a hierarchy doesn't necessarily
> require any modification of the object's contents at all.  I think I'd
> be correct to point out that such a situation wouldn't be very
> 'RESTful'.

Sure. But sometimes a resource is in two (or more) hierarchies at once,
and then you can't use the URL space anymore.