[whatwg] SQL API and database metadata at creation

Scott Hess shess at google.com
Wed Oct 31 13:37:45 PDT 2007

On Oct 24, 2007 10:38 AM, Brady Eidson <beidson at apple.com> wrote:
> Armed with these two option arguments, a single UI prompt similar to:
> "www.google.com wants to create a database on your hard drive.  The
> purpose of the database is for "<DatabaseDescription>" and www.google.com
>   thinks the database might use up to <expected size> bytes of drive
> space.  Do you want to let it continue?"

One quibble I have with this revised aspect of the spec is that
database use somewhat overlaps schema.  A site can decide to have a
single database with many tables, or they can decide to divide their
tables across multiple databases, thus leading to three or four
prompts.  There might be byzantine reasons for this - maybe a product
is composed of elements from three or four groups within a company,
rather than being monolithic, and the databases are used for namespace
control.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a good action item WRT the spec.  I
suspect that the user-agent might end up going in the direction of
maintaining an aggregate quota for an origin.

-scott