[whatwg] [HTML5] Accessibility question

Nicholas Shanks contact at nickshanks.com
Tue Apr 1 00:40:40 PDT 2008

On 1 Apr 2008, at 9:00 am, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

> Hmm … http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/#hidden seems to be specified as
> equivalent to visibility: hidden, a property that theoretically
> shouldn't affect speech rendering but does (accidentally) hide
> content from screen readers. It doesn't say anything about display:
> none;.

I know that everyone already knows this, but I think a reminder might
be timely:
Be careful not to confuse screen readers, who's job it is to read what
is displayed on the screen, with a voice browser, who's job it is to
parse a HTML document into a DOM tree and apply media-less and aural
CSS (and potentially never display anything on screen).

visibility: hidden and display: none should both hide content from
screen readers.

— Nicholas Shanks.