Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 06:56:22 PDT 2008

I agree, very insightful post, MPT.  You cut to the true issues quicker than
we were doing earlier.  ^_^

of embedded metadata, but how would we extract such out of the html flow?
This isn't metadata about the document, after all, but about particular
pieces of content within the document.  You can't even use the dom to target
it, since, as noted, idm properly aren't hierarchical and can cross dom
boundaries.

I like the paired-elements proposal, much better than my earlier ideas of
being able to wrap <li></li> in idm.  It gives you all the power of idm
while retaining a well-formed dom tree.  However, it's not ideal.  The stuff
in the range is no longer targetable with CSS, frex.  We could poke at CSS3
to have a new pseudo-element set for idm, but meh.  How do implementors feel
about this?

~TJ