[whatwg] Request: Canvas Tag CSS

Mathieu HENRI p01 at opera.com
Tue Apr 8 01:49:43 PDT 2008

Greg Houston wrote:
> I didn't know SVG had CSS support. That's great, but I fail to see your point.
>
> A table serves a different purpose than a div, yet both are styled in the CSS.
>
> A paragraph serves a different purpose than an image, yet both are
> styled in the CSS.
>
> A blockquote serves a different purpose than a submit button, yet both
> are styled in the CSS.
>
> SVG and Canvas serve different purposes, yet the both have style, and
> both should be supported by CSS.

Except that there is a slight difference between a declarative element
and a programmatic one.

SVG being declarative, it has an actual DOM tree with elements and
attributes that can be affected using CSS.

The Canvas element itself can be styled with CSS ( borders, size,
outlines, background, ... ) but what is done in the CanvasContext does
not end up in the DOM tree and therefore their styling can not be
affected using CSS.

--
Mathieu 'p01' HENRI
JavaScript developer, Opera Software ASA