[whatwg] several messages about quotations

fantasai fantasai.lists at inkedblade.net
Sat Apr 12 13:38:48 PDT 2008

Ian Hickson wrote:
>> How would you define CSS pseudo-elements for open and close quotes in
>> such a way that they would be implementable and would not match
>> apostrophes and would correctly differentiate between open and close
>> quotes in languages that use the same character for opening and closing
>> and in languages that invert the direction of guillemets compared to
>> French?
>
> I would introduce two pseudo-elements, ::quote-start and ::quote-end,
> which match one or more characters with the Quotation_Mark property (as
> per Unicode PropList) found at the start or end of an element, if such
> text is a direct child of the element (skipping White_Space characters).
>
> I've started this idea down the path of the CSS working group.

Please send a message with your proposal to www-style for discussion and
CC www-international. (We use the wiki to track issues, not as a substitute
for mailing list discussion. Also, it would be important to have i18n people
involved since punctuation styles vary across languages and I'm not sure
Unicode's Quotation_Mark property is adequate.)

~fantasai