[whatwg] several messages about <cite>

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Apr 15 18:58:31 PDT 2008

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Shannon wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > We're not talking about making class meaningful. I'm not sure I
> > understand what you are arguing against at this point.
> >
> > The proposal is just that authors should use class="" to distinguish
> > the various ways they use <i> so that they can (e.g.) style them
> > differently. Where is the spec unclear? I should rewrite it to avoid
> > any ambiguities.
>
> The spec is fine.

Ah, ok. Well then good!

> > > It's subclassing: the general is sufficient, the specific better.
> > > Many markup languages use the design, and in this case, I think it's
> > > necessary.
> >
> > The class="" attribute can handle this case.
>
> We appear to be talking about "lookups", "script", "semantics" and
> "markup" here rather than "style"; presumably to create custom link
> behaviours and assist in automated document processing. Perhaps there is
> an assumption that processing will only occur within the scope of the
> current page or site (and presumably therefore under the control of a
> single entity).

Right. I don't think anyone is suggesting that we need to classify <cite>
elements in a globally unique and unambiguous way -- what would be the use
case for that?

> However if <cite> were to have a type then it's likely that the first
> systems to take advantage of it would be search-engines and catalogues.

As someone who works for a search engine company, I highly doubt that. :-)

> Using a type/rel/category attribute instead of class will assist in
> automated document processing and categorisation. It doesn't really
> matter whether a list of allowed types is defined or not since a
> search/directory crawler would probably deal with the uncommon or
> unsupported exceptions. But lumping the type of citation in with the
> class names used to style it is simply asking for trouble since it will
> also trigger any defined styles (probably unintentionally) and/or create
> nonsense categories like "book_class" in the processors' DB. I could
> imagine such a situation leading to the following catalogue output:
>
> This article contains:
>     - 4 book citations
>     - 2 book_class citations
>     - 1 squiggly_underline citations
>
> Hope that makes my position on this clearer. If I misunderstood
> somebodies comments then I apologise.

I agree that class="" won't work for this as a globally unique solution
(short of a Microformat being developed for it). However, I don't think we
need to find a globally unique solution, as the use cases for such a
solution aren't especially compelling.