[whatwg] ALT and equivalent representation

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 07:43:24 PDT 2008

Shannon wrote:

> The ONLY "business" justification I have for using alt tags is that a
> w3c valid site REQUIRES them and this may increase the sites Google rank
> (which is just speculation really). If you take the requirement out to
> use them on every image in a valid site then you take away much of my
> argument for using them at all.

In many juristictions, a company can face legal action if its website is
not "accessible" per some standard or set of standards. This is the
business justifaction I usually use; here in the UK, the Disability
Discrimination Act[1] is the relevant reference.

[1]http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly-resources/web-accessibility/uk-website-legal-requirements.shtml