[whatwg] Feeedback on <dfn>, <abbr>, and other elements related to cross-references

Philip Taylor excors+whatwg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 14:19:02 PDT 2008

On 21/04/2008, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:
> Can you link to examples of such webpages, which have <abbr> elements
>  without title attibutes?  What does that mark-up currently achieve?

Out of 130K pages from dmoz.org, I see 592 using <abbr> elements, and
36 of those using it at least once with no title attribute. If anyone
cares enough, they could look through the list to see how many are
bogus and how many are expecting something useful and what they seem
to be expecting.

Those 36 pages which used <abbr> with no title a couple of months ago:

http://bundesrecht.juris.de/gsgv_9
http://linuxdidattica.org/
http://markcronan.livejournal.com/33814.html
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/politics/story/0,6903,449920,00.html
http://outer-court.com/goodies/index.htm
http://spazioinwind.libero.it/saf/
http://tubewhore.livejournal.com/
http://www.artofeurope.com/wong/
http://www.beepworld.de/members10/princessa18/
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/latinaohje.html
http://www.danscamera.com/
http://www.fwbosheffield.org/
http://www.gnu.org/
http://www.jokan.de/technik-c2.html
http://www.mozilla.org/directory/
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/
http://www.offaly.ie/offalyhome/visitoffaly/Attractions/Family/bog+train.htm
http://www.rekordbog.dk/
http://www.seobythesea.com/
http://www.travelphp.com/
http://www.treseta.fi/
http://www.voyager.prima.de/cpp/books1.html
http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/
(plus 5 more on guardian.co.uk, and 8 more on beepworld.de)

--
Philip Taylor
excors at gmail.com