[whatwg] Expanding datetime

WeBMartians webmartians at verizon.net
Thu Apr 24 12:04:14 PDT 2008

There's an historical precedent that argues in favor of expanding the datetime string.

Many calendar utilities limit the date domain to the UNIX one. Thus, entering an anniversary for a wedding that occurred prior to 1970 is the "kiss-of-death:" there is no way to determine just which anniversary is involved (silver anniversary, paper, ceramic...). A small item? Not to the gift card and gift industries.

So an apparently trivial, supposedly non-business limitation had a big effect.

Whether or not providing a means to specify dates before the Gregorian Reform or before the beginning of the first millennium will have a business effect is difficult to determine. One thing that can be said is that the applications which would be enabled certainly won't exist if the facilities are not present.

Currently, the extreme datetime values (as opposed to the strings) can be specified in Javascript. Producing the corresponding datetime strings from such values should be mandatory. That argues in favor of proper "round trip" handling: the conversion of extreme datetime strings should be available too.