[whatwg] ALT and equivalent representation

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 15:40:54 PDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Křištof Želechovski <giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl>
wrote:

> What is the advantage of cutting an image to parts
> and having the browser show them as one by putting them aside?
> I would rather use one big image in the first place.
> Chris

On my company's web site, our header image is split into two parts.  One is
floated left, one is floated right, and they sit on top of a repeated
background image.  This lets the entire header smoothly scale to the width
of the viewport.

Since the two images are just pieces of a complete header image, the alt
text should only show up once.  I just put the alt on the first image and
use alt="" on the second, but it would be nice to have a canonical answer to
this.

Note:  I am *perfectly fine* with not introducing a new element or new
attributes.  I feel that just putting an alt text on one of the images and
leaving the others blank is sufficiently semantic.  However, I do believe
that this is a useful case to address in the alt text guidelines.

~TJ