[whatwg] Web Workers and MessagePort feedback

Aaron Boodman aa at google.com
Tue Aug 5 13:29:52 PDT 2008

I'm still digesting the Web Worker proposal, but here is some
feedback. Sorry it is a bit long.

Structural API stuff:

- I still haven't really internalized the need to either have workers
speak directly to anyone other than the person who created them, or
the other use cases that MessageChannels are intended for. There is a
lot of complexity here. I think we need to add some requirements and
motivations to the top of the doc, and some code samples showing the
intended usage before implementors can really decide whether it's
worth taking on.

- It seems like we might want an object that represents workers. This
would allow us put the 'onload' and 'onerror' events from MessagePort
there, instead of on MessagePort, which makes more sense to me (I
don't know what it means for a MessagePort to 'load' or 'error'
outside of the context of a worker). MessagePort.onunload could then
change to 'onclose' to go with the close() method.

It seems like over time, we might want to be able to perform other
operations on a worker and having the worker object might be handy.

I know this is weird wrt GC when combined with MessagePorts, and I
don't have a proposed solution.

- It's odd to me that the way to establish a channel to a worker
depends on whether you are the creator of the worker or not. The
creator gets a MessagePort to a new channel back from createWorker(),
but any other function must pass a new MessagePort over the original
one, and the worker must know to use that secondary port to talk back.

I would prefer to see something like:

void Worker.postMessage(DOMString message)
void Worker.postMessage(DOMString message, MessagePort port)

That way the way to establish a new channel is the same for all
callers. It also has the advantage of looking similar to a window's
postMessage API.

Here is how the previous two suggestions would look together:

var worker = new Worker("foo.js");
worker.onload = function() { ... }
worker.onerror = function() { ... }
worker.onunload = function() { ... }  // called when the worker shuts down
worker.sendMessage("hello!");

var channel = new MessageChannel();
channel.port1.onmessage = function(e) { ... }
worker.sendMessage("please return my call", channel.port2);

// called when the channel is closed, either because the worker shut down taking
// the other end of the port with it, or because the other end of the
port was GC'd,
// or because the other port was explicitly closed.
channel.port1.onclose = function() { ... }

semantics questions

- The spec doesn't seem to say what happens if you send a worker a
message before it has finished loading. I think that the message
should be queued and delivered when the worker load is complete. This
makes waiting for onload unnecessary, unless preparing the message you
want to send is somehow expensive.

- The spec says that as soon as a worker is not reachable (determined
via GC) from any MessagePort, it is eligible for shutdown. Shutdown
would attempt to finish all queued messages, but not allow any new
ones.

This concerns me because it means that workers will have different
behavior depending on GC timing. If a worker is not referenced from
any port, and it sends an XHR, that XHR may or may not be sent
depending on when GC runs. This is different than how XHR behaves
normally. Typically, XHR objects that have outstanding IO but no
referers will not be GC'd until they complete or fail.

Finally this does not allow use cases such as creating a worker to
synchronize a local database with the network without ever sending
notifications back to the parent.

Maybe workers should stay alive as long as any of the following are true:

- There is script running in them
- There are messages to them queued
- There is a messageport alive anywhere that could send messages to them
- There are "asynchronous operations" (xhr, timers, database
operations) inside them outstanding

API nitpickery

- Why is there an ownerWindow property on MessagePort? If I understand
correctly, this is just a synonym for the 'window' object of the
currently executing script context.  I think it should go away.

- I'm curious as to why MessagePort and WindowWorker do not implement
EventTarget. It seems like we may as well reuse it. And at least for
WindowWorker, it seems like the same problems of having multiple
functions clobber each other that motivated EventTarget would apply.

- The purpose of 'import()' on WindowWorker was not immediately
obvious to me from its name. Should it be 'importScript()'? or
'includeScript()' maybe?

- Should import() accept an array of URLs, so that the UA can fetch
them in parallel if it has the ability to do that?

- The string URL property on the WindowWorker interface is less useful
than the parsed structure that window.location has. Can we use
something like this instead, except making it read-only?

- The "front-line" nomenclature was a bit weird to me. How about "top-level"?

- Would it be too weird to have createWorker overloaded to take an
optional name parameter? This would make the behavior similar to
window.open(), which either opens a new window or reuses an existing
window with the same name.

- a