[whatwg] Methods defined for one document called after that document is no longer the one being displayed

Aaron Boodman aa at google.com
Tue Aug 5 01:33:51 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 1:12 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> Right now, if you navigate an iframe to a document, and take a
> reference to a method defined in that document, and then navigate that
> iframe to another document, and then call the method, browsers differ in
> what they do.

By 'method' do you mean any function object, defined anywhere in that
window? For example, does document.getElementById count? Does the foo
in var myglobal = {foo:function(){...}}; ? What about getters?

>  - In one browser, the method call fails, saying that methods can't be
>   called while the document that defined them isn't the active document
>   of the browsing context whose global object is the method's.

Off the cuff, this behavior seems good to me. I think it would be good
if this applied to any function or getter.

- a