[whatwg] Scripted querying of <video> capabilities

Mikko Rantalainen mikko.rantalainen at peda.net
Thu Aug 7 02:22:51 PDT 2008

Tim Starling wrote:
> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> On Aug 7, 2008, at 09:53, Tim Starling wrote:
>>
>>>        xiphQtVersion = videoElt.GetComponentVersion('imdc','XiTh',
>>> 'Xiph');
>>
>> This kind of FourCC use is exactly the kind of thing I meant earlier
>> when I asked if the MIME stuff is really the best match for frameworks.
>
> FourCC and MIME are not mutually exclusive, see RFC 2361.

RFC 2361 doesn't seem to provide a method for describing both video
codec and audio codec for a resource. The same parameter ("codec") is
used for both audio and video codec information but I cannot understand
how a resource that contains both video and audio should be labeled.

RFC 4281 seems to provide a parameter "codecs" that is a comma separated
list of used codecs. The detail required ("MUST") for the "codecs"
parameter seems quite high and I'm afraid that this parameter will not
be correctly used in real world, unfortunately. In theory, this would
seem a good way to provide the information needed for a resource.

--
Mikko