[whatwg] Scripted querying of <video> capabilities

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 8 03:42:54 PDT 2008

Jeremy Doig wrote:
> how would this work (say) for different avc profile levels and
> features (eg: PAFF support) ?

I don't think that's our problem. The details of determining a type name
for a given file should be in another standard, it should not be in HTML
5. All HTML 5 has to do is delegate responsibility for type assignment.

> would we require video creators to know the specific capabilities of
> every fourCC target ?

Video creators aren't *required* to do anything. They can just embed
their videos in HTML with no specified type and test it on a few
platforms to see if it works.

The point of the interface (from my point of view) is to assist website
designers when they wish to promulgate a new or unpopular video format.
Presumably, the website designer will know the new video format very
well, otherwise they wouldn't bother.

-- Tim Starling