[whatwg] HTML 5 : Misconceptions Documented

Kristof Zelechovski giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl
Mon Aug 11 12:54:05 PDT 2008

Neither the expression 'form.elements.$name' nor its expanded form
'form.elements["$name"]' is supposed to be defined even if $name is an
identifier of an embedded control.  The correct way to address the control
is 'form.elements("$name")', which is a shorthand notation for
'form.elements.item("$name")'.  These two should not be confused.
Therefore, the bug in Opera is not about shadowing the length property but
about defining the corresponding property at all (in particular,
'form.elements.ell' should be null no matter what).
OTOH, the expression 'form.length' is a perfect equivalent for
'form.elements("length")', provided a control with such a name is contained.
Have you reported this to Opera technical support?
I can see no harm in principle in assigning a value to 'form.length' because
length is not an intrinsic property the form object.

Chris