[whatwg] WebWorker questions

Shannon shannon at arc.net.au
Tue Aug 12 04:50:21 PDT 2008

A few questions and thoughts on the WebWorkers proposal:

If a WebWorker object is assigned to local variable inside a  complex
script then it cannot be seen or stopped by the calling page. Should the
specification offer document.workers or getAllWorkers() as a means to
iterate over all workers regardless of where they were created?

Is it wise to give a web application more processing power than a single
CPU core (or HT thread) can provide? What stops a web page hogging ALL
cores (deliberately or not) and leaving no resources for the UI mouse or
key actions required to close the page? (This is not a contrived
example, I have seen both Internet Explorer on Win32 and Flash on Linux
consume 100% CPU on several occasions). I know it's a "vendor issue" but
should the spec at least recommend UAs leave the last CPU/core free for
OS tasks?

Can anybody point me to an existing Javascript-based web service that
needs more client processing power than a single P4 core?

Shouldn't an application that requires so much grunt really be written
in Java or C as an applet, plug-in or standalone application?

If an application did require that much computation isn't it also likely
to need a more efficient inter-"thread" messaging protocol than passing
Unicode strings through MessagePorts? At the very least wouldn't it
usually require the passing of binary data, complex objects or arrays
between workers without the additional overhead of a string encode/decode?

Is the resistance to adding threads to Javascript an issue with the
language itself, or a matter of current interpreters being non-threadsafe?

The draft spec says "protected" workers are allowed to live for a
"user-agent-defined amount of time" after a page or browser is closed.
I'm not really sure what possible value this could have since as an
author we won't know whether the UA allows _any_ time and if so whether
that time will be enough to complete our cleanup (given a vast
discrepancy in operations-per-second across UAs and client PCs). If our
cleanup can be arbitrarily cancelled then isn't it likely that we might
actually leave the client or server in a worse state than if we hadn't
tried at all? Won't this cause difficult-to-trace sporadic bugs caused
by browser differences in what could be a rare event (a close during
operation Y instead of during X)?

I just don't see any common cases where you'd _need_ multiple OS threads
but still be willing to accept Javascripts' poor performance, Webworkers
limited API, and MessagePorts' limited IO. The only things I can think
of are new user annoyances (like delaying browser shutdown and hogging
the CPU). Sure UA's might let us disable these things but then some
pages won't work. The Working Draft
<http://stuff.gsnedders.com/spec-gen/webworkers.html> lists a few
examples, most of which appear to use non-blocking network IO and
callbacks anyway. Other examples rely on the ability for workers to
outlive the lifetime of the calling page (which is pretty contentious).
The one remaining example is a contrived mathematical exercise. Is the
scientific world really crying out for complex theorems to be solved in
web browsers? What real-world use cases is WebWorkers supposed to solve?

I would like to see WebWorkers happen but as an author and a user I have
serious concerns about using it in its current form. Is it really worth
implementing or should more attention be paid to fixing non-thread-safe
practices in the specification so future UAs can better manage threading
internally (ie: video, IO, sockets, JS all running on seperate threads
or even sets of threads per open tab/window)?

Shannon