[whatwg] HTML 5 : Misconceptions Documented

Kristof Zelechovski giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl
Tue Aug 12 04:53:31 PDT 2008

It is probably too late for that but I like the concept of a default
property much better than metaattributes like IndexGetter.
For example, document.forms(0) means "call forms on document with argument
0".  That is impossible because forms is not a function so we look into
forms collection and we see that it has the default method named item.  So
we proceed by expanding it to document.forms.item(0) and we see it works.
I like it because it is simple, elegant and generic, whereas IndexGetter and
what you have looks ad-hoc.
I have never seen document.forms.main used to get at the form named "main"
but probably I have not seen that much.  I wonder how common it is.
Of course, I agree that it is best to be explicit and not to rely on such
tricks at all.  The downside is that, for example, while
a.getAttributeNode("href").value = url is technically superior to a.href =
url, it is much harder to read so care must be taken not to overshoot.  But
form.elements.item("main") is just fine.
Regarding how the named elements get to be true properties, the shadowing
behavior can be specified without recurring to getters.  It is sufficient to
say that an intrinsic property is never replaced by a constructed shortcut
property and we get the same result.
Chris