[whatwg] Scripted querying of <video> capabilities

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Tue Aug 12 15:46:10 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Kristof Zelechovski
<giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl> wrote:
> Falling back to another method of displaying media is possible without a
> dedicated media API.  In this particular case, you can have a video element
> with an ogg source and an object running Cortado to display it.

I don't believe this to be the case. See my previous message about
this. There's one specific instance of it not working as far as I
know:

<video src="foo.ogg">
 <object>....fallback for Ogg playback using plugin</object>
</video>

A browser that supports <video> but not Ogg will not use the fallback
<object>. Instead it will just give an error when loading the foo.ogg
file. If some way of having this case work is supplied then a media
sniffing API is possibly not needed. Tim, can you confirm that?

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz