[whatwg] Proposed updates for the command API's

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Aug 12 17:53:08 PDT 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Dav Glass wrote:

> I have a list of proposed additions to the Command API's:
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#command
>
> I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what I have:
> http://blog.davglass.com/files/yui/html5

These are interesting suggestions, thanks!

I'm a little reluctant to add new extensions to execCommand() right now,
because browsers have not yet been thoroughly tested against the current
text in HTML5, so we may yet have to change it a lot.

However, I have noted these, and will in due course probably add them or
something like them.

Some specific notes:

 * ModifiedNodes - I think this would be better as a separate API, maybe
   "queryCommandAffected()" or something, that returns the collection.
   Also, maybe it should return a range rather than a collection. What is
   the use case? (How and why would you actually use this?)

 * SetClass makes sense, though the "State" depends on the class, which
   the queryCommandState() and queryCommandValue() methods don't have
   access to, so those wouldn't work quite as proposed.

 * I'm not sure providing UI for SetStyle makes sense, but that might not
   be a big deal.

Please do leave this page up, I can't promise when I'll actually get to
it. Let me know if you update it with other proposals or to address the
above issues.

Thanks!