[whatwg] Proposed updates for the command API's

Dav Glass dav.glass at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 20:08:29 PDT 2008

----- Original Message ----

> From: Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch>
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Dav Glass wrote:

> * ModifiedNodes - I think this would be better as a separate API, maybe
>    "queryCommandAffected()" or something, that returns the collection.
>    Also, maybe it should return a range rather than a collection. What is
>    the use case? (How and why would you actually use this?)

The use case is outlined here:
http://blog.davglass.com/files/yui/html5/#examples

The main issue with a range, is overlapping elements, that's why I would opt for a collection :)

> * SetClass makes sense, though the "State" depends on the class, which
>    the queryCommandState() and queryCommandValue() methods don't have
>    access to, so those wouldn't work quite as proposed.

Provided that we have valid Selector use, then this is not needed. We can always test against a known class..

> * I'm not sure providing UI for SetStyle makes sense, but that might not
>    be a big deal.

I'm fine without the UI, most people will create their own UI for this anyway.