[whatwg] Disabled attribute for iframes

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Aug 14 16:14:21 PDT 2008

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, Greg Houston wrote:

> 1. You have a fluid layout where the columns are resizable via
> javascript by dragging the borders. The content of one of the columns is
> an iframe. You begin dragging the border between it and the column to
> the left, but as soon as the cursor goes over the iframe, the dragging
> functionality stops because you have now entered the context of the
> iframe. Thus it becomes impossible or at the very least very difficult
> to resize the column containing it.

This seems like a bug. It seems like we would want to address this
directly rather than requiring authors to disable iframes when doing drags
(especially since that wouldn't help with things like plugins or
whatever). Wouldn't the better solution be to provide some sort of
mechanism to say that while the mouse button is down, all the mouse move
events should go to the element that got the mousedown event?