[whatwg] Disabled attribute for iframes

timeless timeless at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 02:46:52 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:45 AM, Greg Houston
<gregory.houston at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to propose a disabled attribute for iframes.

things like this inevitably are used for "copy protection".

and they aren't going to work quite the way you expect on mobile devices
(we're probably going to have a couple of input method modes, not to
mention things like select all...).

> Disabled would make the iframe read-only, i.e., you cannot highlight
> text, click on forms, or scroll the iframe content.

someone might be able to use this to "steal" content from another site
using well placed scrolled regions...

you go on to talk about drag and drop or similar operations and it
seems clear that you're not really asking for a disabled attribute.
i'm merely replying to remind people that the original idea isn't
something that should be considered.

the actual problem you're really trying to solve otoh could be worth
solving. but do keep in mind that some capture behaviors may cause
pain for small devices too.