[whatwg] hashchange only dispatched in history traversal

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Aug 20 16:50:10 PDT 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Køi¹tof ®elechovski wrote:

> I am very disappointed.  "onhashchange" intuitively means that the
> content hash changes (which is more or less equivalent to modifying the
> content, of course).  I would call this event "onreveal" to be in line
> with the primary bookmark semantics.  The name is inspired by the Finder
> AppleScript dictionary, of course.  Please reconsider.

To reconsider we would need new information. As far as I know, no new
information has come to light, so there's no reason to reopen the naming
discussion.

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Thomas Broyer wrote:
> onlocationhashchange?
> ...because it's fired when location.hash changes...
>
> (I have personally no problem with onhashchange)

"onlocationhashchange" is too long. "onhashchanged" is referring to the
"location.hash" attribute, and seems clear enough.

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Garrett Smith wrote:

> What is this?

Please search for "hashchange" in the HTML5 spec for details.

Cheers,