[whatwg] Scripted <video> query proposal

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Fri Aug 22 14:36:11 PDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 1:46 AM, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson at apple.com>wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2008, at 8:56 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
> Does that actually enumerate all supported codecs? Looking at the Webkit
> code and the Quicktime docs, it looks like it's just enumerating
> file/container types.
>
>   Indeed the code enumerates movie importers and just builds a list of the
> MIME types supported by QuickTime, so it can not yet deal with a type string
> with an RFC4281 "codecs" parameter. We are working on that requirement, but
> the current approach is still useful because the "codecs" parameter is not
> yet widely used.

That will require extensions to Quicktime, right?

So using your current approach implement Tim's proposed API, we can use this
to answer "yes" or "no" if the MIME type contains no codec string, and if
the MIME type does contain a codec string we can either answer "no" (if the
container is not supported) or "maybe".

I suppose if Tim's willing to assume that anything supporting the Ogg
container supports Theora and Vorbis, that's good enough for now ... for
Quicktime. We'll have to look into whether something similar is possible
with GStreamer and DirectShow. But I guess even if it isn't, a 3-value
version of Tim's proposed API is better than nothing.

Rob
53:5-6]