[whatwg] RDFa

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Mon Aug 25 02:11:26 PDT 2008

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de
> <mailto:julian.reschke at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>         The point was made before that html5 already has extensive
>         extension mechanisms in place that can address the particular
>         needs of various communities without requiring it to be written
>         explicitly into the spec.  I know you've said that your team has
>         reviewed the extension mechanisms and found them lacking, but
>         could you explain why it is insufficient to use
>         @data-rdf-property, @data-rdf-about, etc.?  I ask
>
>      > about these specifically because my mail timestamps show that the
>      > @data-* class of attributes was introduced April 10th of this year,
>      > while the ccRel submission is dated May 1st, and thus it's very
>     likely
>      > that these were impossible to consider during your review of existing
>      > extension mechanisms.
>      > ...
>
>     "Custom data attributes are intended to store custom data private to
>     the page or application, for which there are no more appropriate
>     attributes or elements." -- <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#custom>
>

> I'm confused.  Are you trying to imply that my suggestion is somehow
> against the spec definition?  If so, please accompany your quoting of
> the spec with an actual explanation of your point.  I cannot respond to
> you when I essentially have to imagine your entire argument for myself
> first.

My homepage at http://danbri.org/ is XHTML / RDFa and has data in RDFa
attributes. I'd like to do this in HTML5 +RDFa instead, so I can take
advantage of the other new features in HTML5. However the data is very
much not private to the page, but designed to be used by a broad range
of consumers. For example, Yahoo's SearchMonkey, or Google's Social
Graph API. The use of RDF namespaces in that data indicates that we're
using shared public schemas, rather than private islands of
application-specific data.

Perhaps if the Web itself is considered an application, then this is
"application-specific data".

cheers,

Dan

--