[whatwg] Creative Commons Rights Expression Language

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Aug 25 17:51:48 PDT 2008

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > > So, just to be clear, how does that link up with SQL-in-browser? When you
> > > say "people," do you mean web publishers / application builders?
> >
> > Users. One of the problems, for instance, was that they could not access
> > their GMail while offline.
>
> So, out of curiosity, where did the requirement to be SQL-based come
> from? Were different technologies ever considered? Such as XML, triple
> stores or JCR?

Using table storage with a SQL query front-end wasn't a requirement, it
was a solution, just like using XML, using triple stores, etc could have
been. It just happened that SQL solved the problem better. For example,
one of the use cases was the ability to easily use the same kind of data
model as was being used server-side. We actually tried exposing an XML
front-end at one point, but implementors didn't want to implement it (see
the old API for what was called globalStorage at the time).