[whatwg] Ghosts from the past and the semantic Web

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Fri Aug 29 00:14:08 PDT 2008

On Aug 28, 2008, at 19:49, Ben Adida wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> Having
>> something-other-than-data-curie="dc:http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
>
> How about

>   <h2 property="dc:title">A Fun Article</h2>
>   by <h3 property="dc:creator">Ben Adida</h3>
>
> ?
>
> This is one option we've been exploring for greater non-XML
> friendliness.

That would avoid the problem that attributes named xmlns:* are
represented differently in the DOM in text/html and application/xhtml
+xml.

However, it still has the problems:
  1) prefix-based indirection confuses people and, therefore, causes
bugs (as seen with Namespaces in XML)
  2) the indirection is not robust under copying and pasting.
  3) looking up URLs wastes time when people need to write the URLs in
markup or in software that processes markup
  4) using URIs as identifiers makes the language verbose

> (In other words, RDFa in non-X HTML.)

To avoid violating our DOM Consistency design principle, the DOM-wise
same mechanism would need to be used in XHTML5 as well.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/