[whatwg] RDFa statement consistency

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Aug 29 08:48:38 PDT 2008

Kristof Zelechovski wrote:

> Do you think that HTML5 should allow arbitrary experimentation under the
> banner "Let us just do it and we shall see?"

I don't think HTML 5 should allow arbitrary experimentation.

That doesn't change the fact that the HTML 5 spec is full of arbitrary
experimentation, which is one of the reasons I think this whole effort
has gone badly off the rails and will fail.

I fully expect to be revisiting this whole mess in 5-10 years to come up
with a real spec, after we've seen which of the experiments succeeded
and which failed. Then again maybe we'll just decide that specs don't
matter, and live with whatever browser vendors choose to implement.

Maybe that's OK. That's pretty much how the Web has worked for close to
20 years now, and it seems to be muddling along. Maybe no HTML spec has
ever really been anything but an experiment anyway.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA