[whatwg] HTML5 Offline Web Applications

Michael Nordman michaeln at google.com
Fri Aug 29 16:36:17 PDT 2008

Hello again all,

A couple more comments.

*When is anything ever deleted?*

Maybe i missed it, but where does appCache deletion happen?

Something that Gears user's have done is to serve an empty manifest file.
The results are a close approximation to having deleted the resource store.
I would vote to have some syntax for expressing 'delete me'  in the manifest
file for an appCache. A new type of event may be warranted for completion of
such an update, and when swapCache() is called there would no longer an
appCache associated with the context.

*Should we revisit the caching semantics for any resource not explicitly
listed in the manifest?

*Unless i missed something, I think the appCache update/validation logic is
fundamentally flawed with regard to resources that are not explicitly
listed. As presently spec'd, a failure to update/validate any of these
resources causes the entire update to fail, and the old version will
remain pinned in the cache. Now suppose the app changes it's url space such
that some of the resources that got picked up by one of the mechanisms to
add new resources (autocaching namespace or manually .add()ed or <html
manifest=x>) no longer make sense... i think this means the appCache is
stuck in time.

One idea is to rephrase this feature in terms closer to std http caching for
all entries that do not explicily appear in the manifest file. In
effect, closer to telling the http cache to not purge the resource.

* at initial cache time
  - cache the resource

* at appCache update time
  - validate all non-explicit entries per usual http caching semantics
     (so 404s  will remove these entries at update time)
  - network/server errors do not fail the larger update
  - beyond that, not sure what todo on network/server errors... remove or
retain the resources?
  - perhaps maintain a list of 'failed to update' items that the webapp can
access via script

* at resource load time
   - validate per usual http caching rules going forward
    (so 404s will remove these entries)
  - with the following exceptions
     - use the cached resource as a fallback for network or server(5xx)
errors
     - do not purge the resource upon expiration

Comments?