[whatwg] Thoughts on video accessibility

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 15:11:04 PST 2008

Another implementation comes from the W3C TimedText working group:

They have a test suite for DFXP files at
http://www.w3.org/2008/12/dfxp-testsuite/web-framework/START.html .

Philippe just announced that he added HTML5 video tag support using
the javascript file that Jan had written for srt support and adapting
it to work like this:

 <video src="example.ogv" id="video" controls>
     <text lang='en' type="application/ttaf+xml"
src="testsuite/Content/Br001.xml"></text>
 </video>

You'll need to use Firefox 3.1 to test it.
If you select the HTML5 DFXP player prototype, you can click on the
tests on the left and it will load the DFXP content.

The adapted javascript is at
http://www.w3.org/2008/12/dfxp-testsuite/web-framework/HTML5_player.js .

It works by mapping DFXP to HTML and DFXP styling attributes to CSS.
This is exactly what was also discussed yesterday on irc - if we can
find a simple way to map time-aligned text formats to HTML, it will be
easy to deal with in HTML5.

Regards,
Silvia.