[whatwg] (real?) web applications

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Dec 30 02:14:30 PST 2008

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, ROBO Design wrote:

> I believe this is way too much to ask/suggest for Web Applications 1.0
> (maybe 2.0). AFAIK, this is beyond the purpose of WA 1.0.
>
> Here it goes:
>
> 1. Add a special "frame" tag which displays live image data from the
> client web cams, TV tuners, whatever, any device the user allows access
> to. This special frame should also be able to be binded to ...
> broadcasted data, live online streams over the Internet. [...]

I think your idea is very interesting. In fact, maybe we should have an
API that allows streams of data -- from video cameras, from other hardware
devices, from rtsp:// streams, from WebSocket streams, etc -- to be used
as sources for <video>, as well as allowing those streams to be redirected
out to the network to other users or servers.

However, I agree that it is probably a "v2" feature; that is, something,
as that should wait for a wider and more stable deployment of the existing
feature set before being introduced. Thus, I haven't specced anything
along these lines yet.

Cheers,