[whatwg] video tag: pixel aspect ratio

j at oil21.org j at oil21.org
Mon Dec 1 05:55:34 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 12:39 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> We definitely don't want to stretch the video. One of the important use
> cases if having a video playback area and then playing videos with
> different aspect ratios in that playback area. It should all just work.
why should this be different for images and video?
there are ways to center elements inside a "playback area".

how would i stretch a video if its always displayed in the aspect ratio
from the container, i.e. to have an animation where the video is a dot
first, than gets stretched to a thin 5 x 480 element and than unfolds to
its full dimensions 640x480.

+1 for stretch to fit if both width/height.