[whatwg] comment on autofocus attribute from Web Forms 2.0 spec

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Dec 2 03:01:50 PST 2008

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 18:46:48 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Adele Peterson wrote:
> > > I saw the need for this in our Web Inspector, which has a lot of custom
> > > controls (including some that use contenteditable elements).  Some of
> > > these don't have a default focused appearance, but its nice that they
> > > can follow the focus pseudo-class CSS selector.
> > >
> > > I agree that the disabled attribute would fit in well with this.
> > > Again, it would be nice for these custom controls to be able to use the
> > > disabled pseudo-class CSS selector.
> >
> > I really would rather see XBL2's <div> element be extended to be
> > focusable and disablable rather than have HTML support this. Does that
> > make sense?
>
> How would you disable <td contenteditable> or <div contenteditable> with
> that strategy and have td:disabled and div:disabled (or something very
> close to it) work?

It would require something similar to what I had in mind for the very
neglected Web Controls 1.0 draft, i.e. an API that sets when an element
is disabled or editable or whatever, that all the other attributes and
form controls are defined in terms of. (This would also have been a better
way of doing what ARIA does.)