[whatwg] Early feedback on header association algorithm

timeless timeless at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 07:07:30 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Aaron Leventhal <aaronlev at moonset.net> wrote:
> Maybe there is a deeper problem if copy & paste doesn't work right because
> of IDs?
>
> Or maybe there should be a node.getDescendantById() method?

maybe, but not with that name.

 Results 1 - 10 of about 4,480,000 for Descendent [definition]. (0.22 seconds)
 Results 1 - 10 of about 8,370,000 for Descendant [definition]. (0.41 seconds)

the wikipedia links are confusing enough

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descendant links to:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/descendent
which has an also link to http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/descendant
which has a 'US' audio file

So the web says that '-dant' is favored 2:1 over '-dent', which is a
fairly bad margin considering the spelling errors we've seen in
html/http.

I'd sooner see Node.getElementById and risk the confusion of it
returning fewer nodes than Document.getElementById.