[whatwg] <input placeholder="">

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Tue Dec 2 10:52:12 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 2:44 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Ojan Vafai wrote:
> > This is a useful property on any text input element. Seems like it
> > should apply to textareas as well as contentEditable elements and
> > iframes with designMode on. I can point to real-world examples of the
> > latter if need be. I think it's acceptable that it be a plain-text
> > string in all cases, but that it ought to also be CSS styleable. I don't
> > know if html5 is the right place to spec that. WebKit currently uses the
> > input::-webkit-input-placeholder.
>
> I think for contentEditable it's definitely not something we want to
> support natively; I've no idea how that would even work. I'd recommend
> doing it in CSS, using generated content based on the title="" attribute
> or some such.

I don't follow. What's the difficulty with supporting placeholder for
contentEditable? The point is that you want it to correspond to focus state,
so generated content doesn't really help you much there. You still end up
with complicated code that's hard to get right. For example, I only know of
Google properties that do this (GoogleBase, Groups, Page Creator and
Presentations).

> For <textarea>, a placeholder value seems odd. Do you have examples of
> people doing that?

I don't have examples other than Thomas's, however, a quick google
search<http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGLD_enUS289US301&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=textarea+with+placeholder+text>does
point to a lot of tutorial sites for adding placeholder text to
textareas. I don't quite see what's odd about it though. It's just another
case where you want to communicate what the user should put into an
text-entry area and it has all the same complexity to the web developer that
a text input has.

Ojan