[whatwg] Thoughts on video accessibility

Nils Dagsson Moskopp nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
Mon Dec 8 22:13:53 PST 2008

Am Montag, den 08.12.2008, 21:20 -0800 schrieb Martin Atkins:
> My concern is that if the only thing linking the various streams
> together is the HTML document then the streams are less useful outside
> of a web browser context. If there is a separate resource containing the
> description of how to assemble the result from multiple resources then
> this resource will be useful to non-browser video playback clients. If
> an existing format is used then it can be linked to as fallback for
> users of downlevel browsers and will hopefully open in a standalone
> video player. If the only linking information is in the HTML document
> then the best you can do as fallback is link to the video stream,
> requiring the user to go find the text streams and load them manually.
Funny, I just recently talked with someone about that. He suggested
something along a "DNS for subtitles", e.g. having a hash value / UUID
embedded inside the stream and looking that up. So for example
<urn:caption:dd23d31a1158052b4e68899e1a991df102d82e52/de> could hold
German annstations and subtitles for the media file with that hash.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>