[whatwg] Thoughts on video accessibility

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Dec 9 00:33:50 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Martin Atkins <mart at degeneration.co.uk>wrote:

> Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>

>> I'm interested to hear people's opinions on these ideas. I agree with
>> Ralph and think having a simple, explicit mechanism at the html level
>> is worthwhile - and very open and explicit to a web author. Having a
>> redirection through a ROE-type file on the server is more opaque, but
>> maybe more consistent with existing similar approaches as taken by
>> RealNetworks in rm files and WindowsMedia files in asx files.
>>

> This (having a separate document that references other streams) is what I
> was thinking of. I guess which is more natural depends on who is doing the
> assembling. If it is the HTML author that takes the individual pieces and
> links them together then doing it in the HTML is probably easiest.

For what it's worth, loading an intermediate document of some new type which
references other streams to be loaded adds a lot of complexity to the
browser implementation. It creates new states that the decoder can be in,
and introduces new failure modes. It creates new timing issues and possibly
new security issues.

Rob
53:5-6]