[whatwg] When closing the browser

Calogero Alex Baldacchino alex.baldacchino at email.it
Fri Dec 12 08:53:14 PST 2008

Bil Corry ha scritto:
> Speaking of 'onbeforeunload' and 'beforeunload' -- it'd be helpful if there was a way to distinguish between the user taking an action which leaves the site vs. taking an action that returns to the site.  E.g.:
>
> 	leaves site:
> 		closes browser
> 		closes tab
> 		closes window
> 		back/forward to different site
> 		GET/POST to another site
> 		navigates away using address bar
>
> 	returns to site:
> 		reloads page
> 		back/forward to same site
> 		GET/POST to same site
>

> For privacy, it shouldn't reveal which specific action triggered the event, but knowing if the user is leaving the site means webapps can finally auto-logout the user, which in turn greatly improves security.
>

> - Bil

That's a nice idea; the before unload event, for instance, might hold a
boolean attribute telling whether the user is navigating to the same
domain or not. Anyway, such might fail somehow (or sometimes) if (a
relevant part of) the webapp were contained in a frame/iframe inside a
document coming from a different domain.

Actually, I think your proposed behaviour might be worked around with
short-living persistent cookies (when enabled, of course). For a login
mechanism fully based on (non-http-only) cookies, setting a short-timed
expire date (a matter of few seconds) should do the trick: if the user
action is directed to the same site, the server would recieve the cookie
before its expiration; when loading a page within the login cookie
lifetime, the page would change the expiration time accordingly. For a
more complex (and secure) login mechanism, a short-living persistent
cookie might hold a 'secondary' session-id with an expiration date set,
before unloading, so to match a predefined delay: the webapp would issue
a delayed logout, so that after the choosen delay every session data
would be invalidated, and the user logged-out; if an attacker grabbed
such a secondary cookie, he wouldn't get any relevant login information,
and its suitability for a cross-site attack (e.g. by loading a page from
the target site before the cookie expiration) would be restricted to an
arbitrarily short time (such would be a similar strategy to bank token
generators: imperfect but working).

Otherwise, the user might be prompted for an explicit logout request
before unloading (as suggested for volatile data). Perhaps a combination
of three methods (the boolean attribute telling about same-domain
navigation, a short-living cookie and an explicit choice by the user)
might improve the overall security.

 Sponsor:
 CheBanca! La prima banca che ti dà gli interessi in anticipo.
* Fino al 4,70% sul Conto Deposito, zero spese e interessi subito. Aprilo!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=8435&d=12-12