[whatwg] Thoughts on HTML 5

Garrett Smith dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 07:46:57 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 1:40 AM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:31 AM,  <html at nczonline.net> wrote:
>>> We then, as developers, could use that attribute as we see fit and
>>> the document would still validate (for people who care about such
>>> things).
>>
>> Are people who care about things are the parenthetical afterthought?
>>
>> Just curious: What are you expecting your invalid html and custom
>> attributes to do?
>
> Control scripts, usually.  This is a valid and common use-case that
> currently has to hack around things, sometimes by embedding this data
> in the class attribute.  The data-* attribute family is explicitly
> designed for this.

You're not Nicholas. We don't know if that is what Nicholas expects
his HTML to do or if he is expecting something else. In absence of an
example, I can't do much more than guess. I cannot expect your
assumptions to be correct.

You've not stated how creating invalid HTML can "control scripts".
Having an interest in scripting, I would like to know how this works.

Garrett