[whatwg] Footnotes

Håkon Wium Lie howcome at opera.com
Mon Dec 15 14:54:50 PST 2008

Also sprach Douglas Mayle:

 > As an aside <tongue in cheek/> I noticed the new aside element.  Isn't
 > aside more of a presentational decision?  What's the difference
 > between sidenotes and footnotes other than styling?  Would we be
 > better off combining both use cases into a single element with an
 > attribute to provide display hinting?

You can describe the presentation of various types of notes in CSS:

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#footnotes

Indeed, the element itself should't say anything about "foot" or
"side" or "end" -- that's a presentational issue.

Cheers,

-h&kon
howcome at opera.com                  http://people.opera.com/howcome