[whatwg] Modal dialogs in HTML5

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Dec 18 11:25:32 PST 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Philipp Serafin wrote:

> I think it would be a good idea to spec this algorithm as well then.

The algorithm I described is basically CSS' "shrink wrap" algorithm. But
we can't really require it, as it assumes that the OS has windows. My
desktop, for example, doesn't have resizable windows, it only has tabs (I
use the 'ion' window manager).

> You still might want to keep the parameter for back compat though and
> just mark it as "deprecated". (Your algorithm would deform existing
> popup windows that assume their lengthy descriptions get line-wrapped
> automatically.)

We'll probably define it in the "obsolete APIs" section in due course.