[whatwg] Methods defined for one document called after that document is no longer the one being displayed

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Dec 24 12:04:33 PST 2008

On Aug 5, 2008, at 2:12 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> I would like some input from browser vendors.
>
> Right now, if you navigate an iframe to a document, and take a
> reference to a method defined in that document, and then navigate that
> iframe to another document, and then call the method, browsers
> differ in
> what they do.
>
> There are several behaviours:
>
> - In one browser, the Window object changes with each navigation,
>   and the global object is that object, and the method runs fine.

I believe this design is not compatible with the Web, as there are
sites that take the Window object of another frame or window and
expect it to remain valid across navigations.

> - In one browser, the method call fails, saying that methods can't be
>   called while the document that defined them isn't the active
> document
>   of the browsing context whose global object is the method's.

I think adding checks for this condition at every JS-to-JS call
boundary would be an unacceptable performance cost. This is a highly
optimized code path in modern JITting implementations of JavaScript
and I would be against slowing it down with extra checks just because
the resulting behavior seems simple.

(Should the check also occur at native-to-JS or JS-to-native
boundaries? That would lead to outright broken behavior as event
listeners in inactive documents wouldn't fire even when events occur
that should trigger them, and getElementById on inactive documents
wouldn't work. It wasn't clear to me if you had either of those cases
in mind.)

> - In one browser, the Window object acts as a kind of view on the
> global
>   object, which changes with each navigation, leading the method to
> see
>   the original global object in its scope chain, but the new one if it
>   uses the 'window' object. (In this environment, 'this' at the top
> scope
>   returns the 'window' object, not the global object.)

This roughly describes the implementation internals of both Gecko-
based and WebKit-based browsers with the latest version of the
respective engines -- the so-called "split window" design. Modulo some
of the details about the value of "this" (which could reasonably go
either way), this would be the natural way for browsers adopting this
design to behave, if they do not explicitly add additional checks.