[whatwg] Use cases for Node.getElementById

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Dec 25 03:35:13 PST 2008

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Aaron Leventhal wrote:

> Maybe there is a deeper problem if copy & paste doesn't work right
> because of IDs?
>
> Or maybe there should be a node.getDescendantById() method?

I haven't done anything with the feedback on this thread (not quoted),
because it is unclear what the use cases are, and because it is really out
of scope for HTML5.

I would have recommended bringing this up in the context of the Web DOM
Core work instead, if there are use cases of relevance, but since Simon
already replied on this thread, that seems moot also.

Cheers,