[whatwg] Audio canvas?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Dec 25 23:35:16 PST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Dr. Markus Walther wrote:

> I have noted an asymmetry between <canvas> and <audio>:
>
> <canvas> supports loading of ready-made images _and_ pixel manipulation
> (get/putImageData).
>
> <audio> supports loading of ready-made audio but _not_ sample
> manipulation.
>
> [...] Question: What do people think about making <audio> more like
> <canvas> as sketched above?

I think such a feature would be quite interesting, but I don't think we
should persue it in HTML5 at the moment.

If this is something that there is interest in developing, I recommend
bringing it up in the W3C Web Apps working group in conjunction with
browser vendors. Experimental implementations would go a long way towards
demonstrating what is possible and what should be specified.