[whatwg] DOM-related and API-related feedback

Adam Barth whatwg at adambarth.com
Sun Dec 28 09:22:40 PST 2008

> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Adam Barth wrote:
>> 3) The document's origin and effective script origin become the origin
>> and the effective script origin of the currently executing script.
>> (Note: actually, the origins are aliased, as in the about:blank case, so
>> that changes to one of the document's document.domain property affects
>> the other.)
>
> Does the aliasing happen with all browsers?

Test case: http://www.webblaze.org/tests/alias/

Browsers that alias: Firefox 3, Safari 3.1.2, Chrome.
Browsers that do not alias: Internet Explorer 7, Opera 9.5.2

This looks like a Firefox-ism that I copied into WebKit.  We added
aliasing to WebKit because, without it, we failed a regression test.
I'll investigate whether that test is based on a real web site.  Jonas
has previously said he thinks the aliasing is important for web
compatibility.  Jonas, do you know of actual web sites that will break
if we follow the current HTML 5 text?

Adam