[whatwg] Section 5.7.3.3 Parsing cache manifests

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Tue Dec 30 00:56:50 PST 2008

1. The signature of manifest is "^<BOM>?CACHE MANIFEST[ \t]*$". Since
arbitrary whitespace is allowed at the end, it is not possible to
verify it with a simple binary comparison, yet it unnecessarily
forbids e.g. comments at the end.

I suggest changing the signature to "^<BOM>?CACHE MANIFEST" - then it
will be easier to verify, and it will be possible to add comments at
the end. This is how we have it in WebKit now, and changing the check
to the more strict HTML5 one may affect existing clients.

2. When parsing fallback maps, there is a requirement to drop entries
whose namespaces are already in the mapping. I don't think that it is
helpful - fallback namespaces are matched by prefix, so it doesn't
resolve ambiguity. I suggest dropping this requirement, possibly
specifying that if the map is ambiguous, the first match wins.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov